Friday, October 27, 2006

On the lascivious nature of Hindi movie songs.


This entry is to bring to the attention of the general reading public (or more precisely the very limited number of people who read my blog) the scandalous and sexual nature of old Hindi movie songs. Though heroes and heroines in these old movies almost never kissed, let alone made love, the lyrics of some of the songs they sang in these movies exposes this innocence as mere pretension.
The extremely talented individuals who wrote the lyrics of these songs were of course aware of what they were writing, and used common metaphors of the Hindi/Urdu language for love-making. The pretension to innocence, however, is perpetuated by prudish Middle-class parents and teachers who do not acquaint the urban youth with these turns of phrase. Most of us go to schools where the medium of education is English. We learn Hindi in school, but you honestly can't expect text-books to give you euphemisms for love-making. Our only exposure to Hindi on a large scale is Hindi movies, but our prudish parents and teachers fall short in conveying to us the nuances of Bollywood movie-speak. We are allowed to take movie song lyrics literally, blissfully ignorant of the loaded metaphors therein. Also, most of us are probably too dumb at the age of 14 to understand nuance of any sort.
In the Hindi language, the metaphor of a woman losing an ornament or an item of clothing, for instance, is a euphemism for losing her virginity. Given this simple bit of knowledge, some songs stop sounding so innocent. Take this famous song for instance:

झुमका गिरा रे बरेली के बाज़ार में
झुमका गिरा झुमक गिर
हाइ! हाइ रे!
"My earring fell in the market in Bareli (a town in India)
My earring fell off..
Oh, dear! Oh, dear!"

Substitute "I lost my virginity" for "My earring fell" and you'll see what I mean.

Here's another favourite of mine:
इन्हीं लोगों ने ले लीना दुपट्टा मेरा
हमरी न मानो तो सिपहिया से पूछो
जिसने बजरिया में छीना दुपट्टा मेरा
"These are the people who took my shawl/scarf.
If you don't believe me, ask the soldier
Who snatched my shawl/veil in the market-place."

Here, amazingly, we have multiple protagonists in the sexual act, and the soldier is specifically pointed out as having "snatched the veil" of the woman. Odd how these sexual acts seem to occur in the very public realm of the market place...

Other metaphors used for having sex or misc. sexual acts are जीना "to live", and खूबसूरत खता "a beautiful transgression". Heroes of Hindi movies constantly croon to their lady loves, persuading them to "let them live", teasing them that their sensuality may result in the commission of a "beautiful transgression".

I don't mind the use of metaphors or the use of euphemisms. It's what makes poetry so appealing. But most of us who listen to these songs are too ignorant of the fact that they are in fact metaphors for love making. We need to reclaim this knowledge...it can only enhance our appreciation of the sensuality inherent in our movie songs.





4 comments:

Tarana Khan said...

I so agree with you! To think of all that pretense of staying within the 'limits of decency!' How else would you explain abhi na jao chchod kar, ke dil abhi bhara nahin?!

Purely Narcotic said...

Interesting :)

Vikram said...

The good news is ( or is it bad news ? ) that of late, the pretensions are being shed. Take, for instance, the song where Karishma Kapoor goes 'sexy sexy sexy sexy log bole'... Older songs had the metaphors probably because most of them were penned by first rate poets, and we've had metaphors in literature since or before Kalidasa. Further it is unfair to expect these to be laid out before students in school. It would be hard to fit into a scholastic curricular context. I am sure graduate level hindi courses will give this a fair treatment.

G said...

Ooooh! That would help explain why my friend laughs so much when he says, "Mujhe Jina (Gina) chahiye!" I thought he was just toying with the I want to live/I want Gina angle. I never, ever thought "I want sex" could be a possible interpreatation. Oh my goodness... this is going to plague me whenever I hear men sing hindi songs to me about "jina" this and "jina" that after I introduce myself. Fortunately, however, I don't think many people are versed in the nuances of hindi songs so I can probably bet the most obvious interpretation is the right one.